Summer Guide: Top 10 family activities that will keep you movin’
I don't know about you, but I couldn't be more excited about our first post-quarantine summer! As restrictions are being lifted throughout the country, people are eager to get back out in the world and actually do things. But before you head to touristy hot spots with the fam, let us not forget about the fun, outdoor activities that we learned to love last summer. You know...the things that included the whole family but still counted as exercise? Yes, those things!
We compiled a list of activities that will not only defeat summer boredom but keep you and your family moving this summer!
1. Take a hike: Hiking is a great activity to do this summer because you get to explore nature and breathe in the fresh air, all while getting your heart rate up. Find trails online that are doable for you and your family and make a whole day out of it! Don't forget to hydrate and pack lunch!
2. Ride your bike: Who doesn't love to ride a bike? Bike riding is an excellent activity for the whole family because it really does not seem like a chore, but it totally counts as physical activity. Find a cool bike trail in your area that the whole family can enjoy.
3. Walk the dog: Your dog is a part of your family too, and we all know how much they love being outside. Walking your dog is an excellent way for you and your pup to get exercise; after all, he/she needs it too! Try walking the dog in the morning or after dinner when temperatures have cooled down a bit.
4. Gamify chores: This is a great way to get the family moving and help out around the house. Have a laundry-folding contest or see who can clean their room the fastest. Sounds silly, but it makes cleaning so much more fun, and hey- it gets the kids moving while finally cleaning their room. It's a win-win.
5. Jump on a trampoline: Jumping on a trampoline is probably one of my favorite summer activities because it's so fun! This is a sure way to keep the family entertained while getting their daily physical activity out of the way. If you don't know anyone with a trampoline, try a trampoline park in your city.
6. Water balloon fight: Okay, this sounds like this is for the kids, but I promise this will be just as fun for you as it is for the rest of the family. Balloon fights on warmer days are great because it's a great way to stay cool as well. You can go to a park or simply out to your backyard to enjoy this summer activity. Just be sure to clean up the balloons afterward.
7. Sports: Playing an outdoor game of basketball or volleyball can be a great way for you and your family to get out of the house and get in some physical activity. Listen, even if you aren't any good at sports, it's super fun, and it's an activity to do together...and hey, a little competition never hurt anyone.
8. Go Swimming: Who doesn't love swimming? This is a summer favorite when it comes to outdoor activities for the whole family. What a great way to cool off and get some exercise! Whether you go to a pool, lake, or even the beach, swimming can help burn some serious calories without feeling like a chore.
9. Yoga: Depending on your family, this one might take a little more convincing before everyone is on board. Yoga is a great way to spend time together as a family while reaping the benefits that come along with it, such as stress management, improved sleep, and relaxation.
10. Play games that promote movement: Burn calories and get moving without even realizing it because of how fun these next activities are. From laser tag and "it tag" to video games like Wii Sports, Just Dance, or Ring Fit Adventure, you and your family are sure to have a great time while getting in some exercise.
Setting aside time to exercise and spend time with your family can be challenging, especially as we get back into our pre-pandemic routines. These activities combine both so you can keep your family entertained and active all summer long! While you are keeping active this summer, remember to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water! If you want to take it up a notch, you can add Collagen Endurance Plus or Flavored Collagen Hydrolysate to your water to support post-workout recovery.
Disclaimer: The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical conditions. Nor is it intended to replace the advice or diagnosis of a medical professional. Individual results may vary.